|The Painted Lady|
|What is a Butterfly? (HOME)||Life Cycle||Butterfly or Moth?||Senses||Classifications||The Painted Lady||About the Website||Assessment|
The wings of a Painted Lady butterfly are orange and brown. It is one of the most widespread butterfly in the world! They are found in North America, Asia, Africa, and Europe. The butterfly has four wings - two hindwings and two forewings - that are symmetrical in pattern and shape.
* Butterflies are solar-powered! They need the sun to fly.
* Male Painted Ladies have smaller abdomens than females.
* Favorite butterfly flowers = aster, cosmos, thistle, and buttonbush.
* Favorite caterpillar plants = thistle, mallow, hollyhock, malva, and sunflower.
* Butterflies are diurnal (active during the day).
* Painted Lady Butterflies see more patterns, a wider range of color, and more shades of green than people do.
* The tiny scales attached to butterfly wings give the wings their color.
* Butterflies have taste sensors on their legs.